St Francis Bay mtb Challenge highlight of 2011!
Well done to all cyclists who took part in the third St Francis Bay MTB Challenge on Sunday, 27 November. Out of the 505 cyclists who started the race, 483 finished! The final results can be found lower in the post. Some great photos taken by Mike Tagg, Sacha Park and Jane Arderne can be viewed on our Facebook page.
70 km Race
The winner of the 70km race was Roger Pheiffer in a time of 2 hours 15 minutes. Second was Graham Taylor (2:24:19) followed by Francois-Rosseauw de Villiers (2:25:51) in third place. The first lady was Vanessa Lessing in 3 hours 19 minutes, followed by Vicki Laing (3:26:32) and a tie in third place, Marthie Masterson and Sanet du Toit with a time of 3 hours 28 minutes.
The winner of the 35km race was Roland Peacock who finished in 1 hour 31 minutes, followed by Stephan Jansen van Rensburg (1:32:13) and Kevin Kleynhans (1:32:41). The first lady was Sonja Saunders in 1 hour 51 minutes, second was Theresa Tunstead (2:02:00) and third Illa Moore in 2:06:00).
15 km Race
The 15km race was won by Joshua Leslie in 48 minutes, followed by Paul Stander (48:38) and DeWet Jordaan (49:44). The first lady home was Lindsay Peacock in a time of 54 minutes, second was Candice Bezuidenhout (55:21) and Katlyn Bentley (56:41).
5 km Race
The 5km fun ride was won by ten year old Michael Birch in only 13 minutes, followed by Tristan Farrell (13:26) and Josh Peacock (13:27). The first girl home was Rosie Loots (15:07), second was Janke Steenkamp (15:23) followed by her sister Esti in 15 minutes 27 seconds.
Lindsay Peacock was also the winner of the Commensal Bike and Justin Ackerman won the R1 000 lucky draw for locals in the 70km race.
A very big and special thank you to the marshals, sponsors, landowners and supporters, without whom a race is just not possible:
- St Francis Links: Jeff Clause, Ryan Dodds and Team (esp Quinton, Brad, Eugenie, Francois and the rest)
- 70km Route marking: Wynand Botha
- Online Entries: Esti Stewart and Mari du Preez
- Timing/Registration: Brad & Tanya Jackson, Andrew & Julie Briggs (Mountain Events)
- MC and Music: Charl du Plessis
- Links: Elma Brooker, Cindy & Dave Mills, Dave & Marie Louw
- StFF/Rubbish Dump: Steven Outen, Harry Millson
- Homestead Rd: Mike Stark
- Tarragona Rd: Herb Eickhaus
- Cape St Francis: Sally Silberbauer (water), Kim Broadbent, Shmart Security (Neill Kemp, Rinus Peltenburg), Sandra Hardie, George Hardie, Peter Bosman, Yvonne Bosman, Nigel Aitken, Lyn Aitken, Tony Moore, Matt Davis, Anita Lennox (Resort, water), John Elliot
- Mostert’s Hoek/Rebels Rus/Rocky Coast: Steve Woods (motorbike), Izak vd Merwe, Neil Mulder, MJ Potgieter, Ari Bezuidenhout
- NSRI (15km): (Brett Firth), Albert & Amanda Saunders, Bob and Liezel Meikle, Jal Riegaard, Mike Hay, Chris Constanza + NSRI ambulance
- Oyster Bay: Nick Bornman, Alison & Rowan Jackson (water)
- Sweep (and pick up signs): Wynand Botha, Trevor Elliott
- Registration Asst: Garth Perry
- Finish/USN: Tania Jordaan, Fouche Swart
- Water bottles at finish: MTN
- St Francis Sport Trustees: Gavin Harvey, Nevil Hulett, Eric Stewart, Mickey Kantor, Richard Arderne
- Fat Tracks MTB Club: Kathy van Dyk, Brad Jackson
- Sponsors: Pam Golding Properties and St Francis Links plus Moore Stephens Chartered Accountants, St Francis Brick & Plant Hire, Midas Earthcote, Jean Hugo Construction, Scribbels Interiors, Farol Bistro, USN, African Overalls, Custom Bikes, Commencal, Focal Point, Cape St Francis Resort.
- Prizes: Commencal Bikes, Trattoria Restaurant, Pam Golding, Oakley Sunglasses.
- Water points: USN, Absolutely Water, Oyster Bay shop, Cape St Francis Resort, Sally Silberbauer
- Photographs: Mike Tagg, Carolyn Greathead, Sacha Park, Tanya Loots, Jane Arderne and others
- Kids Entertainment: Village Video
- Physio/massage: Fouche Swart
- Landowners: St Francis Links, Sand River Sanctuary, Eskom (Henni de Beer), Rebels Rus (Jacqui Sauer, Mosterts Hoek (MJ Potgieter), Rocky Coast Farm (Jan Riegaard), FOSTER, St Francis Field (Dave Bowmer), Kouga Municipality
- Emergency: Private Care ambulance
- Cycling SA: Louis Roussow
- Kouga Municipality Traffic Dept: Randall Prinsloo, Solly Nelson, Sakkie Murray and others
- Starter: Chimpie Cawood